Wednesday, March 11, 2009

The Magnate's Indecent Proposal


Somehow a near disaster occurred and I DIDN'T buy Ally Blake's The Magnate's Indecent Proposal when it came out as a Sexy Sensation. I'm still not sure how this happened as I read all the Sexy Sensations/Mod Heats as it's the line I'm mostly aiming towards. Anyway when I read on Ally's blog that she recently won an award for the book, I surfed straight over to eharlequin and downloaded it. 

And OMG WOW!! That Ally Blake is one amazing writer. I've just finished her Magnate and I think it's my new favourite category romance. I read across the lines and although I'm writing sexy, my favourite up to now was Liz Fielding's The Secret Life of Lady Gabriella. That's definitely a keeper. Anyway Ally's book I loved soooooooooo much that I went to the Book Depository and ordered an actual hard copy as well. 

This book did it for me on so many levels. As I read, I read it as a reader and a writer and tried to work out why it worked so well.

*The initial meeting between the hero and heroine is magic - love the uniqueness of the whole mobile phone mix-up.
*The emotional conflicts of the characters seemed real but they weren't angsty or too deep. 
*The chemistry was magic and although there were some fairly risque scenes (ah hem... under the table in the restaurant!!!) it didn't seem sordid or cheap. 
*The secondary characters were vivid and fun - can't wait to read Caleb's story, which is still sitting on my TBR pile. 
*Although the hero and heroine weren't actually on the page together for much of the book, they were often on the phone. This was really unique and different from other books. 
*It didn't end in a marriage proposal yet I still got the warm, fuzzy feeling that these two would be together forever!!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh... thanks Ally for such a fabulous read! Can't wait to read the rest of your releases this year and the year after that, etc, etc, etc!

6 comments:

Lucy King said...

I loved this one too! The dialogue, imo, is wonderful.

Jackie Ashenden said...

It was good eh? Caleb's story is pretty good as well.

Felicity Roger said...

You got me. I am off to download it now.

Joanne said...

I also loved it :)

Caleb's story is really good too.

BTW - Ally is doing a half day course in Melb & I would have looooved to have attended but I'm working that day :( I reckon it would have been great to meet and learn from her :)

Rachael Johns said...

Joanne - I'd WAG WORK!!

Joanne Coles said...

I haven't read this one yet, I'll put it on my list next time I download ... and Caleb's story too. They sound too good to miss.

And I love the name Caleb, which always helps when I'm choosing books.