Tuesday, December 27, 2011

2011 - the year that WAS!!!

At the end of each year, I make goals for the next year. Not resolutions. Sometimes I keep them, sometimes I don't but I like listing the things I want to achieve. I do find that whether big or small, if I write something down and make a commitment, I'm much more likely to achieve.


Below are the goals I set for 2011 and the result in bold!!

So my goals for 2011 are as follows (not all writing related):

*Finish my revisions for Carina Press on ''His Christmas Fairy'' and sub it. - I subbed this in February and heard on Apirl Fools Day that Carina Press wanted to BUY it!! 

*Finish my single title - I finished this in July. It was here and on Twitter known as #TheBookThatWontEnd but it actually did. It came in at 110,000 words in the end. Part way through writing it, I was actually worried I wouldn't crack 80k. 

*Write one category novel - I wrote Hollywood Heartbreak which came in at 75k (and I subbed it to Carina - I'm currently in the middle of rewrites for this book). 

*Enter a couple of contests - I entered the STALI but had to withdraw because I sold to Carina Press before the final round of judging. 

*Attend Romance Writers of Australia conf in Melbourne - I certainly did and as usual, I loved EVERY MINUTE of it! Particular highlights were catching up with my best writing buds, meeting Angela James and going to the Harlequin Author dinner. 

*Read lots and analyse the books as I go - I'm not sure I can tick this one off. Reading has unfortunately been sacrificed with the advent of deadlines in my life.

*Join the gym again and tone up - Um... does going four times to PUMP aerobics and starting Couch to 5k THREE different times count? FAIL!!!

*Spend some more quality time with my hubby - hanging my head in shame cos I'm not sure I achieved this one either. It's been a mad year business and writing wise and my poor man has probably suffered neglect. Hey, the good intention was there!

So that's me. I hope you feel happy with what you achieved in 2011. In the next couple of days, I'll be drafting my goals for 2012 and posting them to my blog. Please let me know if you do the same!! 

8 comments:

Daniel said...

Great post, Rachael. And congrats on the writing success this year. You've inspired me to set my own (if only so I can blog about it next year). Happy New Year

Daniel

Rachael Johns said...

Thanks Daniel! I can't wait to read yours :) And yeah, always good to have a reason to blog. IT's very hard to think up posts sometimes.

Megan said...

This list is great. You've given me inspiration to focus on my own writing a little bit more in 2012.

Megan @ Storybook Love Affair

Rachael Johns said...

Yay Megan - that's great news!! I hope you blog your goals soon too.

Helen Lacey said...

Congratulations on achieving so much this year Rach!

Caroline said...

Great blog. I got a Kindle for Xmas (YAY). And I'm half way through your book - double YAY! Caoline x

Rachael Johns said...

Thanks Helen. You had a fab year in 2011 too :)

Oh Caroline - thanks for purchasing it, hope you enjoy it!

Lucy King said...

Brilliant result. Am in awe of yr goals and the fact that you achieved them!