Saturday, December 10, 2011

A Picture Book Christmas


Before I introduce today's guest, I'm delighted to announce the winner of Seleste deLaney's anthology prize.

CONGRATS go to Sue BT. Sue, please could email selestedelaney @ gmail dot com to claim your prize :)

Now, today's Christmas guest is a little bit different. So far everyone I've posted has been an author of adult books, today I'm delighted to feature picture book author, Bernadette Bainbridge.

My name is Bernadette Bainbridge. I am the author and illustrator of this new children's book ‘The Christmas Please and Thank You’.

The book is aimed at children aged 3-7 years and was written to encourage young children to remember that they should always say please and thank you, something which many parents and teachers spend a lot of time doing!

The story also involves Santa and a bit of Christmas magic, reminding the children to use their good manners in a warm, recognisable and festive story which was in fact, based on the Christmas happenings in my own home and with my own two children.

Writing and illustrating a children’s picture book is something I have always aspired to do. I have been an early years teacher for twenty years and as such I have spent many happy hours working with children's story and picture books.

Whilst recently working part-time as a teacher I have been able to fulfil that dream and I am pleased to have completed the publication of my book in August this year.

Since approving the first colour copy just a few weeks ago, I have been able to set about promoting my book in a number of ways.

It is available at Booktopia and Amazon and the Waterstones and WHSmith websites.

Thank you

Bernadette

Thanks Bernadette - as a mum of three young boys, this book sounds brilliant. I'll definitely be snaffling up a copy.

Now, I'm wondering, have any of my blog readers ever tried their hand at picture book writing? I'll come clean first and say that my one and only attempt was called "Barbequed Goldfish''. I still love the title - lol - but unfortunately it never got any further than a rough draft :(



1 comment:

Kelly Hunter said...

I've so much admiration for picture book writers. I love the way the words roll off the tongue and capture the imagination. Gorgeous cover!