Thursday, June 23, 2011
Sunday, June 19, 2011
Wednesday, June 15, 2011
I don’t know about you, but I don’t do cold all that well. In winter I rely on comfort food to help me get through all sorts of situations – a bowl of hot soup after helping with outdoor sports at school, a yummy casserole at the end of a freezing, overcast day or a steaming mug of chai latte after braving the fridges in the supermarket.
The need for comfort food when I am writing in winter is no different. So, when you need to warm up, take a quick break, have a treat to reward a word count milestone, or need something just to keep you going - try THE MOST DANGEROUS CAKE around. Why is it dangerous? Because from start to eat takes only 5 minutes!
3 tbs self-raising flour
3 tsp sugar
1 tbs cocoa
4 tbs milk
1 tbs oil
2 tbs chocolate chips (optional)
1 large coffee mug
Add dry ingredients to the mug.
Pour in the milk and oil and mix well.
Add the chocolate chips (if using – and really, why aren’t you?), and mix again.
Tip: Make sure your choc chips are covered by cake mixture.
Put your mug in the microwave and cook for 3 minutes on high.
The cake will rise over the top of the mug, but don't be alarmed!
Eat while hot, straight from the mug.
Serving suggestions: My kids and husband love to pour custard (kids) or cream (hubby) over the top (and it is a quick way to appease the family so you can sneak off and write *grin*).
And just to show proof it does work I cooked it in my RWA conference mug – and added an extra tablespoon of flour to demonstrate how it really doesn't overflow.
It is so simple, and yummy, it will have you waddling into conference in no time *grin*.
Thanks heaps Anita!! Now I have a dare for all your readers. Make the mug cake and email me a pic at rachaeljohns077 at gmail dot com and I will post the pics next week. Go on... I DARE YOU! I'm in!
Friday, June 10, 2011
Wednesday, June 8, 2011
- I once appeared as an extra in a tv bank ad. It was filmed on a train and I wore a ghastly blue suit. Unfortunately I can't remember the name of the bank and never actually saw the ad.
- I liked the same boy for seven YEARS and only went out with him for FIVE MONTHS.
- I have a collection of Russ Trolls. I LOVE them and only wish I'd bought more when they were littering the shops.
- I have written a non-fiction book about the good, the bad and the ugly of breastfeeding - Breastfeeders Anonymous
- I didn't meet my dad till I was seventeen.
- My grandfather was a real life magician and he ROCKED.
- I was vegetarian for six months in year twelve after my human biology teacher turned me off meat by making us cut up a chicken. I could still live without it.
- I am a cat person. I always knew this but found out for sure when I finally got an Old English Sheepdog dog at 23. I love the dog too but cats just make more sense.
- I have the biggest pantry in our town.
- I have three occasionally gorgeous, frequently naughty but always lovable boys - all born by c-section.
- Jackie Ashenden
- Becca J Heath
- Scarlet Wilson
- Anita Joy
- Aimee Carson
- Leah Ashton
- Joanne Cleary
- Helene Young
- Fiona Palmer
- Cathryn Brunet